Step by Step: Mission Inspiration Page

Something a little different. i've joined in with this month's Mission Inspiration Challenge from Mike Deakin

The idea is to build an art journal page following the ten steps and then, should you choose, share your results within the Facebook group. I've done a couple before with mixed results. I find these challenges have pros and cons. On the plus side, they can shake up my style and comfort zones and hopefully lead me in a new direction. On the negative, because they take me in a direction I'm not used to, the resulting page can often look less than satisfying. However, the following is the progress of my page as I followed each step.

To begin I took yellow Dylusions paint and wiped over with a baby wipe. Then, for step 2, I didn't have any commercial tissue or napkins but I do have a stock of white tissue paper. I stamped over it with 2 colours of Staz-On ink. I chopped this into squares and glued to my page.

MIJ-2-web.jpg

I added a thin layer of Dylusions white paint for step 3 and pulled a face as all that colour was washed out.

For step 4, I added red and yellow ink to texture paste and scraped it through a stencil as instructed. This is one of those steps I wouldn't normally do as I'm not keen on adding physical texture to the page.

Step 5 finally took me in a direction I enjoyed. I took Paperartsy's yellow Fresco paint, which is translucent and coated the whole lot. I placed the stencil back onto the page in exactly the same place as step 4. This time I took purple Distress Paint and dabbed it on top. This gave me my contrasting colours.

For Step 6, I painted a book page in yellow and took a die to trim it out in a wavy pattern before gluing the pieces down over the textured area in the middle. Step 7 was to add stamps. I took a set of splats by Prima and with a red Staz-On pad, coloured around the edge.

Step 8 was the opportunity to add a focal image. In my case, a collaged character. And dear Kory, I thought of you as I glued this down. It was anything but flat. It wrinkled and tore around the textured surface below it. You would definitely not be asking for my advice if you saw the mess I made.

Step 9 and I wrote my lyrics onto the arms of the figure with a Micron pen. Finally, for Step 10, I took a border stamp and black Staz-On ink to the outside.

AJ-Relax-Web.jpg

And this is the final page. I added more detail and learnt along the way that my white uni ball pens does not write over a collage which has a dried coating of Mod Podge. And that when using a white Posca pen instead, it spits whenever it hits texture. 

So there you have it. I pushed myself to try something new out. It worked in some places and not in others. In the main, I found the texture paste, as I used it, worked against me. It needs to be far away from a collaged image and not go underneath it. 

Now to go share it with the group :)

 

P xx